"Oh my God, girl! I haven't seen you in soooo long," she swings her gigantic brown tribal designed purse down onto the seat beside the girl in blue. She could be carrying the entire world in that purse. Bulges with corners sticking straight out mash with curves of soft leather. Her cell phone is in her hand, so I know there has to be more room for jewelry, extra clothes, vegan health bars, and cosmo magazines stuffed in the sides.
"I know! I can't believe Kelly's getting married," she whispers the last part. I wish they would whisper the whole conversation, but no such luck.
The two girls could be sisters they look so much alike. They are both tall, average weight with mousy brown hair that hangs past their shoulders. They wear bulky scarves that look like 30 dollars at Urban Outfitters. They are definitely in their late twenties, early thirties.
"So do you like Charles?" Blue girl looks at Miss Enthusiastic with dead eyes.
"Honestly?"
"Of course."
Miss Enthusiastic turns sullen. She sticks her entire arm into the tribal purse and pretends to be looking for something unobtainable. "He's..."
"Horrid." The girl in blue finishes for her.
"Why are they getting married?"
"I don't know."
"Did she get pregnant?" Miss Enthusiastic pulls her arm out of the purse. Empty handed.
"I don't think so, but now that you mention it she has been wearing a lot of baby doll shirts."
"We should have kept better in touch with her."
"I think she's working at the mall," Blue girl says. "But you know, in that fancy boutiquey place. What's it called?"
Enthusiastic girl nods without answering. "Boutiques are so cute. I got this amazing little gypsy dress at one just the other day. Actually it might still be in my purse," she instinctively grabs the leather strap.
"Yeah. Only... I wouldn't want to work there."
"Oh I know." There's a giant silence as all of us watch a large woman in her sixties waddle into the coffee shop wearing a shawl with little gray and red roses sewn onto it. The dress goes all the way up to her collar bone.
"I mean, at least she's getting married." Blue girl leans across the table.
"Yeah," Enthusiastic girl is stuck staring at the little cotton roses. "And really? Who cares if he doesn't like her going out without him?"
"There's nowhere to go anyway."
"Exactly." Miss enthusiastic swings the purse over her shoulder and stares out the window. "God I'm so glad I don't live here anymore."
No comments:
Post a Comment